How to Clean your Mattress
DIY Guide to Mattress Care
A mattress is a long term investment to your décor and most importantly, your health !
The best way to ensure its long life is a thorough clean-up and maintenance of the mattress. Over time, your mattress surface can become host to dust mites, dead skin and other undesired particles which needs to be cleaned regularly, especially if you suffer from allergies or have pets.
Read on the steps that will help you keep your mattress clean-
- The right MMM- Mattress Maintenance Materials a vacuum with an upholstery friendly attachment enzyme-based cleaner or dish soap for stain removal detergent baking soda cleaning cloths cold water
- Separate care for your Mattress Accessories Bedsheets, pillow covers, mattress protectors and toppers need to be removed and washed separately.
Washing all the bedding in warm (NOT HOT) water will help remove dust mites.
- Vacuuming the mattress: Use the vacuum cleaner's upholstery attachment and thoroughly run it over the entire surface of the mattress.
Pay special attention to sides. Corners of the mattress, especially the seams, crevice attachment (the stitch areas) and corners hold dirt or dust accumulated over time.
- Cleaning your mattress with the aim of stain removal - Now it’s time to remove the stains out of the mattress, and the best way to ensure this is spot-cleaning. As a rule, never soak your mattress or apply water or cleaning solution directly to it. The stain remover depends on two factors- on the type of stain and the type of mattress. For biological stains, an enzyme cleaner is the best bet. The cleaning cloth needs to be sprayed with the enzyme cleaner, and blot the stained area on the mattress with the same cloth. Then apply cold water to a different cloth and continue the process till the stain gets removed. This method is ideal for removal of biological and other related stains.
Make your own DIY solution by mixing dish soap with water and apply the resulting foam to the stain. Alternatively, mix equal parts cold water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the mattress - If it’s not possible to expose the mattress to ventilation and sunlight, use baking soda. Sprinkle a layer over the entire top surface of the mattress and leave for several hours. Baking soda breaks down the acid and absorb any remaining moisture or odour. For maximum effect, leave for as long a duration as possible.
Post the baking soda sprinkle, expose the mattress to light and sunshine. The sun's UV rays helps kill any mould or bacteria.
- Vacuuming again - Once the baking soda operation is complete, thoroughly vacuum the mattress.
- Switch to the other side - With one side of the mattress complete, flip the mattress to the other side and repeat steps 1-6 so both sides are equally clean. Mattress flipping should be done at regular intervals. (The Cozyat Range of Mattresses (insert link here of mattresses) only needs to be rotated 180 degrees, that too not prior to three months!)
As a general rule of thumb, mattresses should be flipped every three months—or more often if there is sagging. Consistent mattress flipping will help the mattress stay more even and last longer.
- Mattress Protection - As important it is to regularly clean the mattress, protection is equally important. Once the mattress is fully dry, use a mattress protector, which will make cleaning easier in the future and protect from spillage, dirt, dust mites and bed bugs. Check out our range of Cozyat Mattress Protectors, (insert link of mattress protectors here) the best investment when it comes to mattress protection and care!!
- Use a good bedsheet - Fitted and proper sized bedsheets which properly envelop the mattress is the best bet to ensure your mattress stays protected and looks elegant. Ensure that the bedsheets are regularly washed and keep the area around the mattress clean to protect it from any dust. The added benefit is that covering mattresses and box springs in mattress encasements prevents dust mite build-up, very beneficial for those who suffer from allergies or asthma.
Check out our range of Cozyat Bedsheets!
Cleaning a mattress extends its life and ensures a good sleep, but it has a finite life. As a general rule, post eight years or so, consider buying a new mattress.
Clean Well, Sleep well and Happy Shopping!
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.